Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New home in Houston

We are finally here in Houston and I am so glad to get some time with my family. I have been enjoying time Christmas shopping with my mom and playing at my sisters house. I miss our church in MS, but I think we will have fun here too. My moms job allows me some oppotunities to volunteer with some things she has going at the church so I am happy about that. I also love that anything her friends do they always invite me. I am going to a luncheon tomorrow at her friends house and I am so happy to be invited somewhere...it has been a long time!
I keep reading on blogs and on facebook about how busy people are with Christmas parties and shopping and some of it is rather complainy (forgive the made up word). I never knew how important those things were to me until I wasn't invited to any. I think it is easy for us to get caught up in how much we have going on and forget about those who really have nothing going on. When you want to complain about how much shopping you have to do remember a few things: #1- you have chosen how much to buy #2-it's not about the gifts #3-at least you have money to shop
No guilt trip here- I guess with all we have been through the last 3-4 months things have been put into perspective for me and I have really had to think about what I want this Christmas to be about. Lack of money means it can't be all about the gifts, no house means it can't be about decorating and having people over, no friends near by means it can't be about parties. So this year, probably for the first time, it is really about the beautiful birth of our Savior. So while it is sad that we don't have much money for gifts, and we don't have friends nearby, I do have my sweet family and my Lord. What more does a girl need?
I know that this phase in my life is only for a season, and believe me when I say that the Lord is working on me through this time. I think I just long for a familiar face, a hug from someone who knows me, and for my kids to have fellowhips with other children who know them. I have been alright with giving away/selling all of my things, and just walking away from my "old" life, the lack of day to day relationships has beent the hardest. We are looking forward to our training and being able to get this journey going. We have been talking about it for about a year now and I cannot believe that we are finally-almost there!

1 comment:

Todd and Rebecca said...

I think we sent your Christmas card to Louisiana. Yikes! Well, if it gets sent back to us, I'll get it to you eventually! We're thinking about you guys!